The Universidad de Chile’s first ‘School of Commerce and Industrial Economy’ – the precursor of today’s School of Economics and Business – was created on 18 October 1934. A group of existing academics from the University was given the job of setting up the new entity, to respond to Chile’s growth needs and contribute to its developing economy.
The School was originally staffed by senior academics drawn from more established schools within the University. Pedro Aguirre Cerda, a distinguished lawyer and future President of Chile, became its first Dean. This group of scholars would be responsible for training Chile’s first generation of professionals in this area. The School continues, through to the present day, to contribute to the progress of the country through its prolific research output, leading contribution to public debate, teaching, and training of professionals to the highest national and international standards.
The Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Chile is inserted in the Andrés Bello Campus, next to the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism and the Central services of the University. With a strategic and privileged location in one of the most attractive places in the city of Santiago.